Archive for the ‘Events’ Category
Come celebrate all BWAM has accomplished for better biking and walking since our founding in January, 2007! This year’s annual meeting Friday, January 23, 2015 from 6:00-9:00 (or so) in the Runners Edge basement meeting room, combines good food and drink with lots of socializing not only with BWAM members but with some special guests who play important roles in active transportation:
- Keynote Speaker – Nick Kaufman, 2015 President, Missoula Chamber of Commerce
- Missoula-Lolo Trail update – Peter Walker-Keleher .
- Missoula Parks & Recreation Director Donna Gaukler and Missoula County Parks and Trails Manager Lisa Moisey will provide an update on parks & trails.
- Bob Wachtel, Chair of the Missoula Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Board will provide an update on BPAB activities.
- Any others whom we’ve overlooked.
Gather with us as we welcome and connect with our fellow advocates and experts in active transportation, celebrate the past year’s accomplishments, and plan for better bicycling and walking in 2015 and beyond. A short BWAM business meeting will include introductions of current Board members and officers for 2015, a brief update on 2014 activities, a brief financial report from our Treasurer, and elections to the Board. The slate of board members to be approved by a voice vote will be composed of 3 new board nominees.
This will be chance to say thank you and farewell to founding board member and Treasurer, Bob Wachtel and outgoing board members Ginny Sullivan and John Wood.
The members’ meeting is free to all members and open to other interested individuals for a $10.00 donation. We encourage attendance by anyone interested in making the Missoula valley the best place to bike and walk! You can join at the door or in advance on our “Join Now” web page. Register below for the 2015 Annual BWAM Members’ Meeting.
- What: BWAM Annual Members’ meeting with food and drink provided.
- Where: Runners’ Edge basement meeting room, 304 N Higgins Ave (enter via the Alley)
- When: Friday, Jan. 23, 2014, 6:00-9:00 pm
Please let us know that you are attending and how many are in your party! Please list others in your party in the comments block so that we can prepare a name-tag for them.
On a sunny and pleasant Missoula evening Missoula Mayor John Engen joined the preride gathering to proclaim May 21, 2014 as Ride of Silence day in Missoula Montana. After the Mayor’s proclamation we shared remembrances of those who have been killed in bicycle motor-vehicle crashes in the Missoula area in the past. Missoula has been fortunate to have had no bike rider fatalities in at least 2 years. After a reading of the Ride of Silence poem 8 bike riders proceeded to ride the 6.5 mile route and returned to the Missoula County Courthouse.
Thanks to KPAX for media coverage.
Cycling Savvy is an adult traffic cycling course that teaches the principles of Mindful Bicycling:
- empowerment to act as confident, equal road users;
- strategies for safe, stress-free integrated cycling;
- tools to read and problem-solve any traffic situation or road configuration.
This adult cycling course is offered in three 3-hour components: a classroom session, a bikehandling session, and on-road experience session. The classroom and bike-handling sessions may be taken individually; the road tour experience requires the first two as pre-requisite. The purpose of the course is build confidence through education and guided practice.
A limited number of scholarships are available, apply today!
Women Bike Missoula (MizzBs) invites all mothers, all who appreciate a mother in their lives, or anyone who wants to accompany a mother on a nice bike ride around town to meet at Currents Aquatic Center Sunday, May 11 at 1 p.m. This is an inclusive, all ages and genders family-friendly ride around town with a choice of routes and distances depending on interests and abilities. We’ll plan to all meet back together at McCormick or Silver Park (to be determined by group) between 2 and 3 pm for a casual picnic — bring your own non-alcoholic beverage and picnic lunch or snack to share if you wish. Sundresses encouraged.
Meet at the bike racks at Currents Aquatic Center, 600 Cregg Lane at 1PM. Questions? Submit your questions in the comments section on the registration form.
Please note: BWAM’s insurance mandates that non-members may not participate in more than one ride. All participants must sign a release form and helmets are required. We encourage you to register for this ride on the MizzBs page and to join BWAM, a 501c3 non-profit group which for seven years has worked to improve bicycling and walking in the Missoula area.
Want to explore new cycling routes in Missoula, meet some cool women, learn how to maintain your bike and discover resources to help you upgrade your cycling equipment? At the same time, you will stay in shape and meet new women biking partners! The MizzB’s have an event planned to get you started. We would love to have you join us!
- Who: MizzBs and women friends you want to come along! Women of all ages and abilities – beginners are highly encouraged to attend.
- What: Meet new biking buddies!
- Learn to change a flat tire.
- 12 mile easy pace bike around Missoula on safe, flat routes (see map).
- Celebrate the completion of our first ride at Holiday Inn’s Brooks and Browns.
- Cost: Our insurance requires you to be a member of BWAM click to our “Join Us” page to participate.
- When: Friday, April 25 at 5:15. Presentation will start at 5:30 sharp.
- Get there early to buy bike supplies or rent a bike at a discount prices:
- 20% off rentals and accessories – 10% off a new bike Read the rest of this entry »
BWAM’s new committee, Women Bike Missoula, (MizzBs) will have a kickoff social event Friday, March 14, 5:15-7 pm at Adventure Cycling conference room, 150 E. Pine Street. All interested women and girls are invited, but in order to be sure of having plenty of food and drink we are asking that you sign up on the MizzBs page.
So what is this committee all about? Women are a distinct minority when it comes to bicycling, and many of us in BWAM have talked for a long time about how we could encourage more women to use the bicycle for transportation. A sign-up list at the BWAM annual meeting began the process to form a committee, and through e-news and sharing, the e-mail list grew to 15 names. Since February a core group of seven has been meeting every Tuesday at 7:45 a.m. at the Adventure Cycling Association conference room, 150 E. Pine Street. We have a mission statement, a page on the BWAM site (click on MizzBs above), lots of ideas for reaching more women with fun activities and information to encourage them to bike, or if they bike now for recreation, to also bike for their daily commutes to work or errands. We look forward to engaging many women of all ages, abilities, economic, social and employment groups. We welcome those who are already committed bicyclists to join us to help by sharing their experiences, expertise, and ideas.
The March Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals webinar sponsored by Bike/Walk Alliance for Missoula will be “Design for Cyclist and Pedestrian Comfort“ originally shown by APBP on 2/19/14. Please click here to register.
- Date: Thursday, March 13, 2014
- Time: 12:00 till 2:00 pm (presentation at 12:15)
- Presentation Length: 60 minutes
- Location: Garlington, Lohn & Robinson, Conference Room, 350 Ryman Street, Missoula, MT
A complimentary lunch will be provided to those who preregistered. Please register here.